Subject: Re: [boost] Portable robust mutex an another try...
From: Ladislav Sopko (lsopko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-18 03:08:40

Hello,

I did try to continue with */Ion Gaztanaga's /*idea of portable robust
mutex.
I post my code and considerations in codereview.

http://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/57083/portable-c-boostiterprocessmutex-an-another-try

I hope to find some one to discuss about.

thx

> Hi,
>
> The portable mutex has been in dormant state for a long time, so thanks
> for recovering it ;-)
>
> It wasn't further developed and I think your proposal could be an
> improvement, although I still don't like the preallocation of a 4MB
> file. I have no much time lately to review and add improvements to
> Interprocess, but please add this link or the patch to a boost trac
> ticket or as a GitHub pull request so that this is not forgotten when I
> find some time.
>
> Best,
>
> Ion

    Hi,

    Allocation of that 4MB is small fee for much better performance,
    because continuous
    search of files on disk slow it down really hard. Then I think to
    extend it with time stamp as

    Niall Douglas wrote. I just need atomic CAS for 64bit. Cause the
    time stamp and process ID
    must be changed in one shot. Then I can skip many robust checks, if
    the time from last lock
    is shorter than some predefined interval. So many regular locks will
    neither test
    file lock and it will run faster. In case one process die, there
    will be expired
    timeout and lock candidate will go check file lock.
    I'll check if I can add a 64bit CAS in
    boost\interprocess\detail\atomic.hpp. (if you know
    how it should be done, it will be a big help for me, cause I have
    not a lot of practice in atomic portable world.)

regards

--
Sopko Ladislav
3D Informatica, Via Speranza 35,