Subject: Re: [boost] [website] Library metadata and version history
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 18:06:13

On 21 July 2014 03:36, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> On 20 July 2014 22:32, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > Btw, what needs to be done to modify this page?
>> > Is it stored in QBK and built automatically or is it stored in HTML
>> format
>> > only?
>>
>> It's generated by php. It can be updated with a 'meta/libraries.json'
>> in a module. Let me know if you want me to generate one for a module.
>>

> Is something like this ok:
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/meta/libraries.json ?
> I assume it should be in master branch/released?

Yes, the data is updated from git branches and tags. You can see the
updated listing for geometry in the develop list:

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/develop/

I don't think that's linked from anywhere yet, although it's pretty
much ready for use. The develop and master documentation aren't
regenerated regularly, so they're often out of date. I can manually
edit the data to backdate changes.

> How this info is generated for modules without meta/libraries.json?
> Is it also hardcoded somewhere?

The json files are used to update the 'doc/libraries.xml' file in the
website repo. This used to be manually updated and still contains all
the manually entered data, so that just remains. After this release
I'm going to create pull requests to add the file to remaining
modules.

> Is website/generated/libraries.txt and/or boostorg/libs/maintainers.txt
> generated using this metadata?

'libraries.txt' is just a serialized version of the data from
'doc/libraries.xml', so that it can be quickly loaded by the web
pages. 'maintainers.txt' is not generated from this metadata yet, it's
doesn't quite match up with the data in the website, so that will need
to be reconciled first.

> I'm asking because it seems that this data is duplicated in many places
> which is hard to maintain.

That's why I'm implementing this metadata thing.

> Wouldn't it be convenient to also define it in modules as metadata?
> E.g. also in json file containing a table of pairs:
> - Boost version,
> - release notes in QBK format

Maybe. Quickbook wouldn't nest well in json though.