Subject: Re: [boost] [build] b2 headers don't work for sublibs
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-01 09:59:58

On 09/01/2014 04:55 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 5:40 AM, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> I asked about MPL recently in this thread:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/253920
>>>
>>> There were a few more general threads about sublibs in the recent past:
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/252054
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/236737
>>>
>>> So the ability to create sublibs seems to be the common knowledge, and
>>> everyone decides whether to use it or not for their benefit. I'm not sure
>>> there was an official announcement from Boost.Build team or the Steering
>>> Committee though.
>>>

>> Thanks for the explanation - it appears there's enough support for this
>> idea; I've added these links to commit message of your patch and merged
>> to develop.
>>

> I, and others, have expressed dislike for that structure..
>
> http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2014/06/213998.php
>
> So it would be nice if we stopped using it.

I think that decision would have to be made by SC.

What apparently is happening is that everything-is-repo approach to modularization
has proved rather inconvenient, and people are not thrilled about splitting libraries
such as Boost.MPL into further git repositories. Arguments can be made both ways;
for the time being it seems that generic code in Jamroot is better than special treatment
for numeric.

- Volodya