Subject: Re: [boost] [optional] Changes in Boost.Optional
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-02 05:23:29

On Tue Sep 02 2014 at 5:56:56 PM Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> > On Tue Aug 26 2014 at 3:59:12 PM Dean Michael Berris <
> > mikhailberis_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:

> > breaking

> get
> > >>

> > > Filed: https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10399
> > >
> > > Thanks Eric.
> > >

> > It's now been almost a week and there's been no update on the issue. I
> > think this is serious enough that I'm positive it couldn't just be me
> > that's experiencing this regression.
> >
> > Can someone with access to MSVC 2010 confirm whether this indeed is an
> > issue, and whether it's actually a regression?
> >
> > If I wanted to get a fix in for this, whom do I send the pull request to
> > (community maintenance team) so it gets fixed for 1.57?
> >

> Hi Dean,
> I am a maintainer of Boost.Optional. Was on vacation so couldn't hear you.

Thanks for responding Andrzej!

> I just verified that your code example works with 1.55 on VS2010, so it is
> a regression. I will not be able to have a look at it for the next couple
> of days. I would like to determine why it even works on 1.55. The
> converting constructor from arbitrary U is also explicit in 1.55, so it
> works because of some sequence of conversions that I cannot figure out
> right now.

Right. My hunch is that 1.56 now has suppression for the cases where
references would have been deduced (as discussed in
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/optional/doc/html/boost_optional/dependencies_and_portability/optional_reference_binding.html).
Maybe the suppression applies even for the case when the conversion
operator may have been useful for copy initialization.

> If you wish to submit a patch you can do it via GitHub at
> https://github.com/boostorg/optional. I can see and act upon the pull
> requests there.

Sounds good to me. I'll give it a shot if I think it's something I can fix.

Cheers