Subject: Re: [boost] Ticketspam
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-02 06:39:13

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> > Killed, along with about a dozen others from the last month, man this is
>> > getting persistent!
>>
>> Yet another one:
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10580
>>
>> Maybe we should restrict ticket creation to registered users only?
>
> As far as I understand, getting a Trac ID is a very manual and vetted
> process, and only recommended if you're a significant contributor.

My impression was that this was because Trac ID was connected to SVN
access. Since we no longer use SVN, this is no longer the issue. I may
be wrong though.

> If you don't want any bug reports at all from mortals, sure, limit it to
> registered users. Even if the requirements to get an user is relaxed,
> you're going to lose a lot of reports.

Well, most public and popular projects (take KDE, Qt, ffmpeg, libav
for example) require registration on their bug trackers and that is
ok. If I'm not mistaken, you have to be registered on GitHub to create
an issue for a project hosted there. I don't think there will be a
problem for Boost.

> As a side note, what happened to the discussion on considering
> Github-based issue tracking? Did the Boost Cabal (Steering Committee?)
> ever say anything definitive on that?

I, for one, wouldn't like having two bug trackers, and there are quite
a few tickets in Trac already. Unless there is a migration plan, I
don't think this is a good idea.