Subject: Re: [boost] Submodules of Boost libraries
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-10-06 10:29:07

On 06/10/14 15:48, Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:

> Boost sublibrary/sublib
> Correct me if I'm wrong. To allow dividing libraries into smaller
> functional parts (SVN) "sublibs" system was introduced. With it it's
> possible to keep the tests and examples separated for each part. In the
> library there must be a correct directories structure and there must
> exist a file called "sublibs", see (geometry, numeric, functional,
> etc.). Then you can see separated sublibs e.g. on the regression summary
> page: http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html

This is what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, it seems it's only usable to divide tests, examples and
documentation, and not headers, sources or usage requirements.

> As for your question, it depends how much splitting your library
> requires, but I'm assuming that splitting it on a "sublibs"level would
> be enough. Therefore the directories structure of your library should
> look like this:
>
> BOOST_ROOT/libs
> +-library_name
> +-include
> | +-boost
> | +-library_name
> | +-...
> +-sublib_name1
> |+-test
> | | +-Jamfile.v2
> |+-example
> +-sublib_name2
> | +-test
> | | +-Jamfile.v2
> | +-example
> +-(file)sublibs

This is not what I'm seeing. Shouldn't it be that instead?

BOOST_ROOT/libs
+-library_name
    +-include
    | +-boost
    | +-library_name
    | +-...
    +-sublib_name1
    | +-test
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-example
    +-sublib_name2
    | +-test
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-example
    +-(file)sublibs

What I would want, however, is

BOOST_ROOT/libs
+-library_name
    +-sublib_name1
    | +-include
    | | +-boost
    | | | +-sublib_name1
    | +-test
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-example
    | +-build
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-src
    +-sublib_name2
    | +-include
    | | +-boost
    | | | +-sublib_name2
    | +-test
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-example
    | +-build
    | | +-Jamfile.v2
    | +-src
    +-(file)sublibs

> Each sublibtest dir should be added to the BOOST_ROOT/status/Jamfile.v2
> to run the tests for all submodules.

That's a bit tedious.
Shouldn't this be automatically computed?