Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Incubator Status Report
From: Felix Uhl (felix.uhl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 15:32:56

Gordon Woodhull wrote:

> We did update the formal review process and related pages to

> invite people to use the Incubator to garner feedback before their library

> is ready for a formal review. [*]

That’s how I found out about it, so I would say the submission to the incubator

is at least encouraged by

Considering that, it seems a bit weird that the incubator has so little activity.

> I don't think Robert ever intended the Incubator to replace the formal review or the role of the Wizards.
> Instead, IMO it is better thought of as a replacement for the unscheduled

> part of the review schedule (aka the Queue), and a better way to verify

> the basic requirements for submitting a library. And reviews can be

> submitted and responded to before the formal review,

> without getting buried in the mailing list.

That’s how I understood it, but from my - admittedly sparse - experience, the mailing list

is an excellent place for feedback, because it is guaranteed that quite a few people

will actually get the message.

When I have my library ready for submission to the incubator, how is anyone going

to notice it? Are enough people subscribed to the feeds that a library gets more

attention than in the mailing list, or at least attention from different groups of people?

It seems like the most fundamental element of the incubator is

a dedicated community that is willing to participate, to test and

review. And it is clearly missing exactly that.

---

Felix Uhl