Subject: Re: [boost] [sort] Re: [review] Formal review period for Sort library begins today, November 10, and ends Wednesday, November 19
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-10 22:54:12

Robert,

> PS - I'm was sort of disappointed that the Postman's sort wasn't
> referred to. It was published many years ago and has been cited
> numerous times. It has several times won a contest held by
> Microsoft Research for the world's fastest sort. To prove it, I have two
> medals hanging on my door knob (each with the name spelled
> wrong - in different ways).

Postman's sort is one of the earlier efficient top-down MSD radix
sorting implementations. It wasn't one of the academic papers I read,
but it probably influenced the paper "Engineering Radix Sort" which
was the primary reference for string_sort. I'd be happy to refer to
it if that would be helpful.