Subject: Re: [boost] [sort] Re: [review] Formal review period for Sort library begins today, November 10, and ends Wednesday, November 1
From: Steven Ross (spreadsort_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-14 22:43:48

Vladimir,

On Thu Nov 13 2014 at 2:07:53 AM Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> > If that's what you're looking for, I can create the equivalent graph for
> > string_sort too. The crossover point of about 1000 elements is quite
> > visible, and both std::sort and integer_sort have some minor
> > parallelization inefficiency, but I see no surprises, and expect none for
> > string_sort.
>
> Steven,
>
> what input data distribution is this? Could you run the tests with
> worst-case data distribution
> for your algorithm?

The input data distribution was evenly distributed 32-bit random data. The
absolute worst-case distribution I've been able to design for spreadsort is
binaryalrbreaker with an ALR_THRESHOLD of 3.
With 32-bit integers, it has 512 elements, and takes 15 microseconds for
integer_sort, and 14 microseconds for std::sort.
With 64-bit integers, it has 131072 elements, and takes 2.8ms for
integer_sort, and 1.6ms for std::sort.
If you add or subtract any elements, it won't be the worst-case
distribution! If I simply double the number of elements, 64-bit
integer_sort takes 5.35ms, and std::sort takes 4.56ms. I'm not sure what
kind of graph would make sense with this type of situation. I'd also like
to note that this distribution is specifically designed to make
integer_sort slow, and cannot be scaled up without improving the relative
speed of integer_sort.