Subject: Re: [boost] [library-incubator vs Developer's list] was Ease commenting (Was: [safe_numerics] questioning the basic idea)
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-19 12:27:38

>>> The current comment system is (I believe) well suited to those C++
>>> programmers which do not use the boost dev list.
>>
>> True, but it doesn't immediately raise a discussion - a message posted
>> here gets seen by quite a few people, hopefully some of whom will be
>> motivated to respond.
>
> Damn - I just can't win here!

Well that goes without saying ;)

> Without making any commitment to any major changes, please post your comment
> in the incubator. I'll then have at least one good thread to use as an
> example, test, for the commenting mechanism. I'm only asking that we try
> this out for this one library - safe numerics. Turns out that this is a
> great example. It's simple enough to understand by everyone without spending
> a lot of of time. And it raises non-trivial issues worthy of discussion. It
> may even provoke submission of a competing solution. This could bode well
> for the future of Boost as I see it.

I've just replied to the comments on safe-numerics, I note:

* As already said, I found the lack of a preview an issue.
* Without a preview, there was no easy way to quote the previous
message, nor did clicking reply automatically give me quoted text to
edit down.
* After a submit, I felt a little lost, and had to go searching for the
reply I'd posted (scroll down quite a way, and re-expand the comments
section).

HTH, John.