Subject: Re: [boost] List of C++ 11 only Boost libraries and their status?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-27 17:12:20

Gottlob Frege wrote
> And, the reverse question (which Niall is asking), how much of Boost
> has moved to C++11 or greater, even if a large(?) percentage of the
> community hasn't.

I agree that that is the question being asked. I just don't think any
answer will change anything.

> If I was to write a new library, that _could_ be old-C++ compatible,
> but with extra work, should I put in that extra work?

Of course that's up to the author. Boost has never required this and
it's been noted in various places that this is not a requirement for
a library to get accepted. It's been sufficient for any
new library that it work with the current standard. People using older
compilers are mostly maintaining old code. I doubt they really
need new libraries. And writing for the current standard is soooo
much easier.

> I think there are interesting questions here for Boost and C++. Not
> sure if Niall is heading towards those questions or others.

Agreed

> The further question, which I think should be discussed here or at
> BoostCon/C++Now, is what is Boost's role *today*? Is boost still a
> stepping stone to the standard? (I find that with the standard's new
> pace, and with its push to use TS's, "stepping stone" is now a more
> minor role for boost. For better or worse - ie I'm not sure if it is
> good for the standard.)
> Or is boost now a place for good libraries, most of which aren't
> general enough to be in std, but are really good and really useful
> when you need them?
> Or is boost a maintenance effort for old libraries for older
> compilers. (I don't think Boost is just that, but is it part of its
> role?)

Of course this is the key question. My views on these questions
are pretty simple

a) The C++ world needs many more good libraries
b) Adding many more libraries to the standard is not sustainable
c) Therefore, the role of boost should shift away to making libraries
for the standard toward making good C++ libraries in general.