Subject: Re: [boost] Link dependencies
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-06 09:21:23

Edward Diener wrote:

>> Are you sure users want to use individual libraries? Do you see calls for
>> that from users?
>
> I have seen the calls for that from users. The general objection is that
> downloading/installing monolithic Boost when only a few libraries are
> needed "seems" wrong.

I haven't seen calls for modular downloads from users on the mailing list

 http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.user

Maybe because they have other solutions to the issue, or use bcp? I know we
do have a home-made solution in my workplace.

Some time ago, it was not possible to move some files to another repository
expressly because 'I maintain those files and he maintains that repo - It's
not a reasonable situation for me to maintain those files in his repo'. I
found that interesting.

Anyway: If modular releases/downloads is a goal (I remain convinced it is
not a goal for Boost thus far), are there blockers to making it happen?

>> Are you suggesting the result of such consensus would be forced on Boost
>> maintainers independent of what they may want? That would seem to be a
>> break from the current model of how Boost works.
>
> No. I still believe that things can be done by consensus. Recently a
> 'meta' directory with some information was added to all Boost libraries.
> I did not see any uprising against this. So clearly it is possible.

The suggestion that adding meta information is comparable to anything which
could be more-intrusive, controversial or bike-sheddable is interesting. I
would be surprised if it follows logically. Maybe we'll get a chance to find
out.

Thanks,

Steve.