Subject: Re: [boost] Do we need BoostBook?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-06 11:57:18

The current toolchain from Quickbook via Boostbook and Doxygen may not be ideal
(it's certainly tediously slow for large libraries like Boost.Math) but it's the
best we have unless someone is going to start from scratch and make something
*much* better.

Although not universally like, I believe the results can be better than other
docs build systems. Many of those critical of the results (and tedium), are
dealing with small libraries whose documentation is almost trivial in comparison
with the bigger libraries.

And the prospect of converting existing documentation to any new/other system
isn't appealing :-(

Indexes and googling often finds what you want to know, but when it fails, I
find the PDF format *is* very useful - mainly because one can search the *whole*
documentation. You can even read it in airline mode on your portable computing
device ;-)

So it's the devil we know and he's always better...

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse