Subject: Re: [boost] Do we need BoostBook?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-08 10:32:38

Vladimir Prus-3 wrote
> Yes. I think any solution with frames will have the same problem. You can
> possibly
> redo it without frames, using divs instead, but then you'd have to
> remember the
> tree state between different pages. Or, you can do an actual webapp :-/

As I said, I'm aware of the situation, I just never considered it a big
enough issue to justify giving up the navigator - which I personally
find very convenient.

I believe it would be possible to create an xslt transform which
would take all or any of the output produced by BoostBook/DocBook
and generate a "Boost document navigator" which would be in a
separate, floating window so that the selected documentation page
would display it's own url. This would
features.

a) Be very convenient to use to navigate boost documentation - at least
the BoostBook/DocBook ones.

b) Be "free" in that it wouldn't require any re-work of any
documentation already in BoostBook/DocBook (and of course
QuickBook) by library authors.

c) Work on both local copies of the documentation
as weil as the remote versions at boost.org.

c) Require creation of the XSLT transform. According to the hype this
is easy. In practice it's a PITA. Maybe we could convince some GSOC
candidate to take on this relatively small self contained project.

The funny thing there is that the creation and positive reception of
of such a facility would would answer your original question in the
affirmative - which
I guess isn't what you originally had in mind.

Robert Ramey