Subject: [boost] [test] Applying outstanding pull requests to develop and schedule merge of develop to master
From: Jamie Allsop (ja11sop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-11 11:28:55

Some time ago (more than 2 years) I submitted a set of four
complimentary patches for Boost.Test of which one was partially applied.
The tickets are:

* Test Units (Cases and Suites) in Boost.Test do not capture __FILE__
and __LINE__ at declaration point making it impossible to provide source
file linking using external test management tools
(modified patch applied)

* Boost.Test, since boost 1.48 is using the deprecated Boost.Timer class
- it should be updated to use the new class
https://github.com/boostorg/test/pull/15

* Detailed test status is not available in the Boost.Test log (status,
assertions, passed) and so live test case status cannot be tracked
https://github.com/boostorg/test/pull/16

* Support multiple calls to framework::init() allowing wrappers to
support running tests using test tools in full systems
https://github.com/boostorg/test/pull/17

I've updated and resubmitted patches on more than one occasion and also
variously created patches against (the now) develop and master so I can
actually apply them for myself for each new boost version.

Now, the reason for my post is two-fold.

First - I'd like to see these patches applied. They cause no user
impacts and simply (a) fix broken functionality and (b) *significantly*
improve the usefulness of Boost.Test. I am more than happy to help with
maintaining Boost.Test since we rely on it heavily and I believe, on the
whole it is a good library.

Second - it is about time we formulated a schedule for merging develop
into master for Boost.Test. Otherwise all the patches in the world are
simply pointless. The patches I've submitted, like others will never see
the light of day even if they are applied because develop is very
different than master and it looks like a merge may never happen. It
should be noted that for my patches I have a completely different set
that I apply to an actual Boost release because of the large differences
between the two branches.

To recap - it is time to start actively shepherding patches into
Boost.Test develop, but more importantly, it is time we started looking
at a schedule for merging Boost.Test develop to master. The longer it is
left the worse the impact will be. A lot of good work has been done on
develop - the longer it stays there the more people will move away from
Boost.Test in their own code and it will only have relevance to Boost
libraries themselves.

Jamie