Subject: Re: [boost] List of C++ 11 only Boost libraries and their status?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-14 01:04:37

Dave Gomboc wrote
> Consequently, I'm much in favour of allowing Boost library
> maintainers who wish to retain support for older compilers the
> latitude to do so.

I don't think anyone can prohibit a library maintainer from maintaining
compatibility with older platforms nor impose any requirements that old
platforms not be supported. It's still a free country. I expect to
maintain such support for the serialization library as long as it's
practicable. In fact, it's easier to do this than it would be to convert
the library to use C++11 features. This leaves aside the fact that such a
conversion would diminish the usage of the library which would be contrary
to my main goal.

New libraries are an entirely different thing however. It's easier to make
a new library using the C++11+ features. The number of extra users that
would benefit from trying to make the library with C++03 would be very small
in relation to the extra amount of work involved. So I would recommend to
authors of new libraries that they target the most recent versions of the
language that are widely used.

Robert Ramey