Subject: Re: [boost] Questions to help me determine export classification of Boost libraries
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-19 16:30:49

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Ben Fritz <
benjamin.fritz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > >
> > > The author of the ASIO is Christopher M. Kohlhoff
> > > who is Australian. I presume it was written there. So shipping ASIO
> would
> > > not
> > > "exporting" it and thus not subject to such laws. Am I missing
> something
> > > here.
> > >

> > Yes.. Read this short statement from OSF <
> > http://www.opensslfoundation.com/export/README.blurb>. And remember that
> > the Software Conservancy (the framework corporation for Boost is in the
> > US).
> >

> Right. If I compile/link any crypto functionality into software I release,
> then I'm "exporting" it. That's about the extent of my knowledge of this.

As the last paragraph of that blurb suggests.. You should extend your
knowledge with the help of a suitably experienced lawyer.

So, my question is: does Boost.ASIO actually contain encryption? Or does it
> rely on OpenSSL for all its encryption? If it does depend on OpenSSL, how
> can I determine whether any OpenSSL functionality has made it into the
> final *.a or *.lib or *.dylib file?
>
> And, can someone confirm Boost.ASIO is the only library I need to worry
> about?

Being seriously blunt here.. I would recommend that no one ostensibly
representing Boost "confirm" anything. As it would put them, Boost, and the
SFC in potential legal liability. Sorry if this is the legal world we live
in.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything