Subject: Re: [boost] [test] boost.test owner unresponsive to persistent problems for multiple years
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-10 03:21:29

On 10. jan. 2015 02:06, Richard wrote:

> Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> spake the secret code
> <m8nv98$7nj$1_at_[hidden]> thusly:

>>> The maintainer is always the decider. Consensus, even loose consensus,
>>> doesn't affect Boost at all afaik. I realize you don't see it that way.
>>
>> I approve the fact that a primary maintainer is the decider. Someone has
>> to be in charge, and surely that someone who did all the work of
>> creating the library in the first place is the best candidate. If you
>> disagree enough with the primary maintainer and feel your
>> ideas/implementation are not being regarded and are better you can
>> always create another library that reflects your own ideas and notify
>> people on this mailing list about your own library.
>
> In this case, that's already been done. It's called google test (gtest).

I am confused, are you responding on behalf of Paul, or yourself
Richard? If I assume you respond on behalf of yourself, then I wonder
if your intentions are too take over Boost.Test ownership and make it
more or less into gtest, possibly breaking compatibility with existing
test code. Probably not, but as you have offered to take over ownership
of Boost.Test I think you need to be more clear about what your
intentions would be if you took over?

Thanks for your effort by the way Richard! I do however think you
should moderate your tone, hidden or literate, in some of your postings
given the maintainer seems to be responding now and have
co-maintainers/helpers. That may help getting better discussions on the
list which I think we all would like. Thanks,

--
Bjørn