Subject: [boost] [mixin] Library name
From: Borislav Stanimirov (b.stanimirov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-12 07:21:20

To those unfamiliar with the Boost.Mixin - it is a new library submitted
for review.
The docs are here: http://ibob.github.io/boost.mixin/index.html
The code is here: https://github.com/iboB/boost.mixin

It has been suggested multiple times that perhaps the name "mixin" isn't
appropriate, so I was wondering if I can find a better one.

The current name, mixin, is, as the library itself, inspired by the
mixins in the Ruby programming language. However, it doesn't do exactly
what Ruby's mixins do (as mentioned here:
http://ibob.github.io/boost.mixin/boost_mixin/introduction.html#boost_mixin.introduction.compare.bm_as_ruby_mixin
)

My current alternative ideas are:

* EntityComponent - not great since it doesn't exactly follow the
entity-component-system pattern, although it can be said that it allows
the construction of entities from components.

* DynamicMixin - to emphasize that it's not to be confused with the CRTP
mixins. It still has "mixin" in it's name though.

* Trait - since it resembles the traits in Self, Scala, PHP, etc.
However, a trait is more a "compile time" feature (even when talking
about PHP)

* TypeComposition or TyCo - a very vague description

* Polymorph - since it allows the composition of polymorphic types at
run time, but that's pobably even more vague

Other ideas are welcome.

Thanks

-- Borislav