Subject: Re: [boost] [uuid] Issue 9407: please merge fix
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-17 04:26:46

<...>

> On a more general note, all this homegrown entropy gathering in that
> function (for most of which I might be responsible, in fact) should just be
> skipped if we have CryptGenRandom or /dev/urandom; it should merely be a
> fallback. We're never going to improve upon CryptGenRandom's output, most
> we could do is not damage it, and /dev/urandom is, I think, also
> reasonably-crypto-quality on today's POSIX OSes.

Can not agree with that. We have no guarantee that CryptGenRandom algorithm
is not reversible or predictable. In case of /dev/urandom we at least can
see the sources (but that still does not give a 100% guarantee). So mixing
in some additional entropy seems reasonable.

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin