Subject: Re: [boost] [sync] [thread] Faster mutex
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-02 05:41:43

On 2 Feb 2015 at 11:54, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> > According to the sources of glibc, Mesa's mutex has a much smaller size
> > (only 1 uint32_t vs 6 ints + 2 pointers), performs less actions before and
> > after the actual syscall (no getting and setting of the
> > mutex->__data.__owner, no type field checks)
> >
> > This gives an ~10% speedup.
> >
> > Just curious, maybe ideas from Mesa's mutex could be useful for some of the
> > Boost libraries.
>
> I do have plans on implementing futex-based mutex and condition variable, but
> it's not my top priority. I think the first release of Boost.Sync will be
> based on pthread. Also, I've not decided if the futex-based implementation
> should be provided as an alternative since in some situations it might be
> needed to have access to the underlying primitives such as pthread_mutex_t.

I also think any futex based design will always have fairness
problems. FreeBSD doesn't use futexes at all for this reason. In my
C11 permit object, I use atomic increment gates to enforce fairness,
but like with BSD's threading primitives they are orders of magnitude
slower for mild contention over a futex which is essentially a multi
state CAS lock.

I might add that I recently installed PC-BSD 10.1 which is the very
latest and was quite surprised at how snappy fast it feels compared
to Linux and Windows 8.1 on the same hardware. Laptop battery life is
now within 30 mins of Windows too as BSD can now power manage, and
all the hardware but my wifi (a very recent Intel 7260) works
straight out of the box. FreeBSD has made enormous strides recently
as a desktop OS, if we could just get suspend and resume for those
with Radeon video cards I think it would become my primary dev OS
(the BSD Radeon kernel driver is the Linux Radeon driver running
under a Linux kernel API emulation layer, and that emulation layer
doesn't support suspend/resume yet). Right now it's too annoying to
lose my present state of work end of each work day :(

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/