Subject: Re: [boost] To split, or not to split, or something else? RE: type_traits rewrite, modularization, dependencies, etc.
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 05:49:11

Rene Rivera wrote:

> I keep reading emails about the effort to reduce dependencies, and to
> split libraries into core/simple + whole/big..

We need to keep this into perspective. There's much e-mail traffic but out
of 118 or so libraries we want to split 2.5 into core+non-core --
serialization, range, perhaps mpl. We also want to split hash out of
functional, and common_type out of type_traits, and maybe fpclassify/sign
out of math in the future, but those aren't core/non-core splits. So
standardizing core/non-core splits would not be a priority for me.

To get a rough idea what we're trying to accomplish, look at the bold parts
of

http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/report-develop-c3bb6eb/module-weights.html

and see what tends to predominate - it's the same few libraries over and
over. This is not a general problem.