Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-04 12:01:20

Nevin Liber wrote
>> what about when boost hits 500 libraries
> Boost added what, *two* libraries last year? At that rate, the 500
> library
> problem won't happen until the *23rd century*.

LOL - I get this. But to me there is a much larger picture. I believe that
boost
has largely accomplished it original mission - and quite successfully I
might add.

I believe that Boost has to "think bigger" to continue to thrive. If it
doesn't do
so, it will atrophy to a bunch of old men living on past glories maintaining
bunch of arcane libraries which "didn't make it into the standard".

So I believe we need to embrace a new and grander vision for the future.
This
vision would include an expectation of reaching 500 libraries in the next
5-10
years. (my actual vision is even grander, but I won't divulge it here in
order
to spare myself even more ridicule).

> Lots of other stuff has to scale first: the number of submissions, the
> number of reviews, the number of maintainers, etc.

Of course - and we're trying to change those things. The incubator is
focused
on trying to increase the number of submissions and reviews. Part of it
also tries to address the number of maintainers. Another issue is that
boost testing and deployment currently wouldn't scale to support this
vision.

> And yes, even at 500, I still want them all, if it minimizes my dependency
> management problem. I might want to take a newer/older version of a
> specific library, but that's about it.

No problem, you shall continue to have it. I'm interested in expanding the
access to boost beyond our small circle of nerds. Not everyone is like us.

I realize that the discussion regarding minimizing dependencies is getting
tiresome. But that's because it has aspects which are difficult to address.
I realize that for a number of people it's my particular problem - but it
just turns out that the library I happen to maintain highlights the
weaknesses of the
solutions proposed so far.

Robert Ramey