Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc15] Attn: We need 2015 mentors and project ideas for Boost!
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-09 19:54:33

On 9 Feb 2015 at 8:41, Robert Ramey wrote:

> Damian Vicino consulted with me about proposing the following GSOC project:
>
> Add safe<float> functionality to safe numerics
> http://rrsd.com/blincubator.com/bi_library/safe-numerics/?gform_post_id=426
>
> This is an extremely difficult task. But my conversations with him have
> convinced me that he understands the issue involved. This would be a great
> addition to the safe numerics library which is still under development.
>
> He has asked me to act as a mentor for this project and I have agreed to do
> so. I would expect to see him submit a proposal for this project soon if he
> hasn't done so already.

Firstly thank you hugely Robert for stepping forward to volunteer as
mentor.

Secondly, if he's the same Damian Vicino as was on this list a few
months ago then I agree he's well capable. He looks to be an
outstanding student. Indeed this year 2015 is looking to be a bumper
year for GSoC, we may well have four prearranged students and mentors
before GSoC has even begun. Historically those are shoo-ins for the
rankings as they tend to be head and shoulders above the candidates
who apply later, but equally we won't count our ducks before they
have hatched.

However, there is a process here, and his part doesn't start until
after we get approved as an org this year, so first off we need to
achieve that. To that end can you or him add the proposed project to
the list of project ideas at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015 please? That's the page
Google reviews as part of approving us or not. A lack of ideas on
that page caused our rejection in 2012, so we need that page long and
detailed.

Also, can Damian supply a link to code he has written so we can
dispense with you having to set him a programming competency exam?

The ideas page needs to be ready before the 20th Feb.

Thanks,
Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2015 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015