Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Re: Conflicts when building libraries at root
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-11 15:00:39

Hi Volodya,

On Mittwoch, 11. März 2015 11:36:01 Vladimir Prus wrote:
> On 03/11/2015 11:34 AM, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> > Please note that the dependency on Boost.System is _only_ on develop, not
> > on master. The last merge to master was 3 years ago. Which is another
> > story...
> It seems that develop not building out of box on Windows is an important
> issue.

<rant>
Well, develop did not build out-of-the-box for what, the last 4 months? And
suddenly it is more important than fixing master?
</rant>

The real issue is that the regression tests did not capture this because they
don't run the "bootstrap.{sh|bat} ; b2" "end-user build" sequence at all. And
my reports, others reports and my replies were obviously ignored, so
Boost.Context even got merged to master causing the same failure.
Sorry, I can't do much more than regularly (read: daily) building boost
develop and reporting bugs for the foreseeable future.
I'd really appreciate it if someone would enhance "run.py" to run the end-user
build sequence first and bail out with bells and whistles if that don't work.
This would have prevented us from getting into this mess in the first place.

It is quite ironic that the lack of merge to master for Boost.Test is saving
some work right now.

> > So we should go forward and merge the existing patches to master and leav>
> Boost.Test for later.
>
> The beta is coming out without these fixes, I'll merge them for final
> release.

I'm fine with this. Only make sure you have a *big* note on how to build the
binaries in the announcement. And are prepared to handle the complaints from
those who will just don't get it.

Still quite upset,

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1