Subject: Re: [boost] [metaparse] Review Manager
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-18 18:26:21

Edward Diener-3 wrote
> The problem is that ... become interested in that library.
>
> I agree there are cases where interest in a possible library occurs but
> that ...

I agree with all this - it's exactly what I'm trying to change.

> So unless there is some fairly coninuous way of getting information
> about libraries on the incubator into the Boost mailing lists I do not
> see that requiring incubator interest in a library in order for that
> library to be reviewed is a viable path to go.

well, right now incubator interest is the only way we have of gaging
if there's enough interest in a library to justify reviewing it. The
review process has been a problem for years. I'm trying to make
it better - albeit with limited success.

Note that my target audience for the incubator is not so much the
boost developer community but the C++ community at large. I'm
hoping that "the rest of us" will find code there that solves problems
lot's of people have. And that this code will include commentary
from other users, good documentation (ideally annoyed by other
users), access to test results, reviews and commentary, and
access to repo history. I also want to make it easier for the wider
community to contribute. It's great to have 4 meta programming
libraries around - but isn't there room for a really well crafted
class for "money".

> I do agree with you completely that poor or haphazard attention to
> documentation ...
>
> But that is separate from the issue
> of requirements of whether a library should be reviewed or not.

Correct - it's an orthogonal issue. But

Hmmm - maybe we can just say that the library is approved subject
to the documentation meeting certain standards. But I don't think
that's working. I want to see a change in the way library programmers
think about coding, documentation, concepts, library design and
program correctness. These are not new ideas - I just want them
to be taken more seriously. I think Boost only has a future if they are.

I realize that that I'm on a personal quest here. I much appreciate
the willingness of the boost community to indulge me here.

Robert Ramey.