Subject: Re: [boost] what happened to the "tools/regression" directory - and the stuff in it?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-20 13:16:47

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Rene Rivera-2 wrote
> > Also, note that the code for that tool is now at <
> > https://github.com/boostorg/regression/tree/develop/library_status>. And
> > IIRC it's updated to build if you clone/get the regression repo. But I
> > never tried using the resulting executable. And process_jam_log is at <
> > https://github.com/boostorg/regression/tree/develop/testing>.
> >
> > Obviously something equivalent to this is necessary for every library
> >> author. What do other library authors use? What do you recommend for
> >> testing on one's own machine?
> >>

> > Like Steven I just use b2 directly and read the output. But then I have a
> > very simple library to deal with. So I'm not a good example.
>
> In my source tree there was a folder icon named regression and I just
> clicked it and the folder appeared in the right place in my modular-boost
> tree. Which I suppose is OK - except that there's another corner of git
> that I have to figure out how to use - this is a burden to me.
>
> When I first saw this I presumed that the boost test python scripts had
> been
> enhanced to provide this sort of facility in one's local environment. Now
> I'm poking around to see how all this works. There is a directory with 15K
> lines of *.py code it !!!

Note.. I've been cleaning up the regression tree to reduce that sort of
thing. But of course things take a long time to accomplish as I can't
interrupt testing and the release process. Anyway.. I do want to make your
job as easy as possible in this regard so I do plan to make the
library_status table generation easy to use. But..

I was planning on working on this a bit this weekend and it's not going to
happen. My dev machine is having problems and looks like it's close to
imminent death. So I'm doing backups, ordering a new machine, and then
setting up that new machine from the backups. So It's going to be a much
longer time before I get to this again :-(

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything