Subject: Re: [boost] Transferring a library on Github
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-31 09:39:58

On 3/31/2015 7:03 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> On 28 March 2015 at 16:48, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> In order to get VMD under boostorg in order to begin the process of
>> integrating the library into Boost for the release after the current pending
>> one I tried to transfer the library as explained on the page
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/NewLibFromGit. But I do not have the
>> necessary admin rights for boostorg. How do I proceed ?
>>
>> I want to get VMD under boostorg and then do whatever is necessary to add it
>> to the superproject and have it part of for regression testing.
>
> To transfer the repo you either need to transfer it to someone with
> admin rights who can do it for you, or get someone to create a team
> for you, and temporarily give the team admin rights so that you can
> transfer the repo in. Do you want this to be maintained by the
> preprocessor team or a new, separate team?

I will be the maintainer of the VMD library so the team will be me for
the time being. I have admin rights to various Boost libraries to which
I contribute but I do not have admin rights to boostorg itself, by which
it appears this means the Boost superproject, which is what it I need to
transfer the repository to boostorg. Should I ask for admin rights to
boostorg ? Can I transfer it to you instead and you can transfer it to
boostorg ?

> Once the repo is ready, the best way to add it to the super-project is
> probably to create a pull request, or ask for help if you don't know
> how. If you have a metadata file, I'll add the library to
> libs/libraries.htm and libs/maintainers.txt from that.

The repo is ready. I know how to create a pull request and can do that
to add VMD as a submodule of the superproject. But according to the wiki
page I cited above I first have to transfer the library under boostorg.
I will add the metadata file to the repository following the format I
see in the one added to tti.