Subject: Re: [boost] [WG21 mailing] N4453 Resumable expressions
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-17 09:55:16

On 15 Apr 2015 at 22:26, Avi Kivity wrote:

> On 04/15/2015 04:27 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> > I'm finding Chris' paper on resumable expressions instead of compiler
> > magic created resumable functions awfully compelling:
> >
> > http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/n4453.pdf
> >
> > I essentially proposed the same with my functionally composed
> > constexpr basic_future design some months ago.
> >

> Regarding that, you may be interested in a similar effort, seatar [1],
> with very lightweight thread-unsafe futures and continuations (future<>
> size is 16 bytes) with multi-core utilization provided by explicit
> dispatching.

Thanks for that.

There has been a profusion of lightweight future object alternatives
in recent months. I think yours is like the fourth I've seen now,
each different but all similar in that they are much lighter weight
than anything being proposed by the Concurrency TS.

I fear, unfortunately, that WG21 is not as aware of these trends in
real world use cases as they should be. Certainly the presently
proposed continuable future is much fatter than the C++ 14 future,
and I think that is not welcome.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting