Subject: [boost] [githelp] Moving from push to pull requests
From: Fletcher, John P (j.p.fletcher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-29 17:42:38

I have been working for some time on boost phoenix using git push origin develop to push my changes. I have now been asked to change to use pull requests and I am not clear about how to get into the new setup. My current setup on my local computer has phoenix as a subproject in a complete boost clone with branches develop, master and several other branches. I have not created any branches on the remote repository. What I want is to have a repository where I can work and then send pull requests for things to go to the main develop. I have two ideas about how this could be done. (1) create a separate repository outside the modular structure and put a copy of phoenix there. I have created an empty structure called phoenix_changes both on my local computer and under my user name on github. I am puzzled as to how to get the correct content into it. This could come from my local copy or from the main repository. (2) Should I instead create a new branch in both my local and the remote copies of boost/phoenix? If so how do I do that? Can I branch from the current develop as the starting point? In either case I want to be able to send pull requests to the other developers. It would be helpful to have an example of the commands needed. Please ask me for more information if this is not clear. Thank you for the [githelp] resource. John