Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system (was: [Master project] GitHub issues disabled)
From: Konrad Zemek (konrad.zemek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-03 12:10:41

Hey everyone,

> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Personally I've been always very happy with TRAC and still am.
>>
>> That's not saying that I would object to a change if there was
>> a strong consensus for something different and it was supported
>> by people have a wider experience in this than I do. There is
>> something to be said for not changing something which has been
>> working well enough not to create problems.
>
> What's your definition of working well enough?
> Trac seems to come up time and time again..
>
> It's extremely slow, posting a comment can take a minute.
> Captcha is broken, so some people can't post stuff at all.

Speaking as someone who uses Boost's Trac only to report bugs: the
experience is not ideal.
* If I want to link to a particular git commit or a documentation
page, I have to use separate browser where I have https mixed content
enabled in configuration (so that Captcha shows up at all).
* Once I accidentally posted three duplicate reports after I clicked
"create ticket" twice more, as the creation was taking so long I
suspected that the connection has timed out (and Chrome actually
stopped showing the whirling "loading" icon).
* While formatted text looks sensible on the website itself (although
code highlighting for C++ doesn't do much), the generated email
messages are barely readable.
* Last but not least I have to set my name/email in preferences, and a
third party can do the same using my name and email, which makes me a
little uncomfortable.

So while my usage of Trac is limited, as a simple user I would
appreciate a switch to a different system which addresses these
points. As it is, posting bug reports and responding to comments each
time feel like fighting against the system. :)

Konrad