Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-03 15:09:14

On 3 May 2015 at 19:29, John Maddock wrote:

> > Most other open source projects demand a login to post any content at
> > all.
> >
> > Logins can come from OpenID, Google, Facebook, StackExchange or a
> > multitude of sources to save the user creating a new account.
>
> But not for TRAC :(

This plugin for trac (https://github.com/trac-hacks/trac-github)
claims to provide github integration for trac and to enable github
logins for trac login.

I'd say you'd need to upgrade trac from v0.12 (what we have) to v1.x
at the least.

> Meanwhile.... I think I've solved the captcha issue (at least for IE).
> We'll have to see whether it results in a flood of spam or not, can't
> figure out the slow response times though.... and they are *very* bad at
> present.
>
> BTW, while Git issues look rather primitive, they appear to do pretty
> much everything that the current TRAC system does? How the heck you
> would migrate from one to the other is a whole other can of worms though....

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6671584/how-to-export-trac-to-gith
ub-issues has an apparently very good solution.

I think the very hard part would be mapping all boost logins to
github accounts. It would be tedious, though maybe the ryppl effort
could save a ton of time.

The other thing is that I feel hesitant loading all one's crown
jewels into github. It is a commercial company which could backfire
on those too reliant on it one day.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting