Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-04 08:44:13

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Michael Ainsworth <
michael_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Whether one need to migrate is a separate question. Boost.Build has
> GitHub issues enabled, with Trac issues remaining in Trac.
> > Admittedly, this means Trac issues stand a lower chance of been fixed,
> but then it feels that the rate of useful issue reports and especially
> useful patches has increased quite a bit.
>
> The downloadable version of GitLab (an alternative to GitHub Enterprise)
> is open source, which I’ve used for multiple projects on two different
> installation sites. It has:
>
> * A GIT repository per project.
> * A second GIT repository for the wiki.
> * A basic issue tracking system.
>
> I’m not familiar with Trac, but it might be worth investigating.

To clarify for people who do not know much about the tools mentionned:

GitLab:
  - repo management
  - pull-request/code-review management

JIRA:
 - issue tracking
 - can be combined with other ihntegrated tools from the same company
   to do review and repo management and wiki (most of the time for free)

RedMine:
 - issue tracking
 - wiki
 - forum
 (very close to TRAC features in general)

Phabricator (didn't try it yet, in the process to do so soon):
 - issue tracking
 - wiki
 - repo management
 - (advanced) code review (pre and post commit)
 - patch/pull-request management
 - discussion forum

Although if the main issue is sysadmin skills/time, upgrading TRAC first
might be less expensive.
If I remember correctly, TRAC upgrading process is documented in their wiki
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade
I don't have sysadmin skill and I'm still poor at understanding how linux
works, however I did do several upgrades
some years ago and there was'nt any issue I can remember.
That being said I didn't have a hundred projects to manage...