Subject: Re: [boost] Arguing about names in Boost libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-06 18:22:01

On 5/6/2015 5:31 PM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
> Le 25/04/11 15:21, Edward Diener a écrit :
>> What is wrong with the people commenting on libraries for Boost who
>> are so concerned about the names being used ? We are talking only
>> about C++ identifiers and yet there are now endless discussions where
>> people disagree on names or argue that some name is not what they want
>> or that they like some other name, with a list of names that they find
>> adequate.
>>
>> This is irrelevant. There is something mentally wrong about all those
>> peoples spending endless amounts of time around this issue. I notice
>> this does not happen nowadays for just one library but for ever single
>> library, or proposed library, which is mentioned on this mailing list.
>>
>> Is this the way all of you people actually work in your daily jobs, or
>> on your own projects, spending hours and days arguing with others
>> about C++ identifiers for every little thing ? Are you not aware of
>> the absurdity of your endless remarks ?
>>
>> Grow up ! Surely there are better things to do than carry on endlessly
>> about some name, that is should be x or y or z or some other inane
>> preferable list.
>>
>> It's time for somebody to say this, so I will do it. A C++ identifier
>> name, as long as it is vaguely about what the functionality entails,
>> is perfectly adequate. It does not have to satisfy everyone in the
>> universe. Period !
>>
> Hi,
>
> I'm really surprised to read such a post on this forum.

I am really surprised to get a comment now about a post that I made over
4 years ago.

Prosecutor: "Tell me exactly what you were doing on April 25, 2011 at
3:21 in the aftrenoon."

Witness: "I can barely remember what I was doing an hour ago much less
over four years ago."

Prosecutor: "Arrest that man. He is obviously an accessory to the crime !"