Subject: Re: [boost] [all][testing] Regression summary upgrades
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-11 12:09:48

On 11/05/2015 16:46, Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently the regression summary was upgraded. The cells corresponding
> to the failing tests can have names comp, link, run or fail.
> This way we can see what's the nature of the failure without going
> into details.
This is great: many thanks!

> See, e.g. the tests for Math:
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/math.html
>
> The last category of failures (generic "fail") is for the others or
> unknown.
> Currently the "Lib" errors are falling into this category. There are
> some in Math, e.g.:
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/CrystaX-NET-apilevel-19-armeabi-v7a-hard-boost-bin-v2-libs-math-test-powm1_sqrtp1m1_test-test-clang-linux-3-5-release-link-static-target-os-android-threading-multi.html

That's a weird one - if you follow the links it actually says that
linking the lib succeeded - which leaves me wondering what actually went
wrong?

> So we could mark them explicitly as "lib" failures and then the
> other/unknown failures could be marked as "unkn" or left as it is now
> - "fail".
> This has sense if there can be other "types" of failures, e.g. caused
> by some error in the testing scripts, Build or Regression, for which
> the reason is somehow unknown. Though I haven't seen them.
>
> I propose to go further with this and to mark the compilation failures
> for which we know the reason of the failure in a special way:
> - "file" - file too big (reported on Windows, e.g.
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/MinGW-w64-4-8%20jc-bell-boost-bin-v2-libs-intrusive-test-unordered_multiset_test-test-gcc-mingw-4-8-2-debug.html)
> - "time" - time limit exceeded (e.g.
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/teeks99-03b-Ubuntu12-04-64-boost-bin-v2-libs-math-test-test_carlson-test-gcc-4-5-debug-link-static.html)
> I saw them in many libraries and I think it would be very useful for
> libraries having many tests like Math or Geometry.

+1, time limit exceptions are a big issue for the Math and
Multiprecision libs... and yes, I've already spent a lot of time
refactoring to make them smaller, but they still persist. I suspect
many of these are caused by virtual machines with insufficient RAM
allocated, that then end up thrashing the HD: many of the tests that
time out compile really pretty quickly here (even on obsolete hardware).

> The other types of failures I could think of aren't that important for
> me personally but maybe someone could appreciate them, e.g. the
> compilers developers:
> - "ierr" or "cerr" - internal compiler error or segmentation fault
> during compilation (e.g.
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/PNNL-RHEL6_64-boost-bin-v2-libs-math-test-multiprc_concept_check_1-test-gcc-4-4-release-link-static.html
> or
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/teeks99-03h-Ubuntu12-04-64-boost-bin-v2-libs-math-test-tools_roots_inc_test-test-clang-linux-3-2-debug-link-static.html)
> - "segf" - segmentation fault during run
> (http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/BenPope%20x86_64%20Ubuntu-boost-bin-v2-libs-math-test-common_factor_test-test-clang-linux-3-7~msan~c14_libc++-debug-link-static.html)
+1, internal compiler errors aren't really our fault are they? It would
be good to be able to screen them out easily.

> Furthermore I propose to use various colors for different failure
> reasons.
>
> You can see the examples here:
> https://github.com/awulkiew/summary-enhancer
> https://github.com/awulkiew/summary-enhancer/tree/master/example/pages
>
> Of course the colors could be changed. We should be able to modify
> them in the master.css file. In the examples above they are varying
> much to make a clear distinction between them. But if you like the
> yelow collor then all of the new failures could be yelowish with a
> slight accent of another color, e.g. compilation errors could be
> yellow with orange accent and "time"/"file" errors with green accent.

+1 on the use of color, again it helps us screen out what explained and
what's not.

John.