Subject: Re: [boost] [next gen future-promise] What to call the monadic return type?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-26 19:21:05

On 26 May 2015 at 20:35, Avi Kivity wrote:

> It can be important for O_DIRECT AIO operations. I agree that for
> buffered I/O, the filesystem overhead will dominate (and, on Linux, you
> don't have a way to implement futures over buffered I/O without
> resorting to threads, which will slow things down further).

Actually, on recent Linuces with ext4 reads from page cached data are
now kaio wait free. It makes a big difference for warm cache
filesystem when you're doing lots of small reads. Writes
unfortunately still lock, and moreover exclude readers. Linux has a
very long way to go to reach BSD and especially Windows for async
i/o.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting