Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 14:12:15

On 29/05/15 02:04 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 5/29/15 9:31 AM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as I have mentioned here before, I would very much like to continue the
>> modularization effort, by fully separating the Boost.Python project from
>> the rest of Boost.
>
> It's not clear to me what this means. Does this mean altering
> Boost.Python so that it has no dependencies on other parts of boost?
> That is that the headers in Boost.Python include no headers from
> <boost ...? Or do you mean something else?

As I mentioned, all I want is being able to build and release
Boost.Python independently. No changes to the (C++) code are involved to
achieve this.
(That doesn't mean that the dependencies on the source code level
shouldn't be cleaned up; but that's an orthogonal effort.)

> How would you plan to do this? A fork of Boost.Python, or
> unilaterally make changes in the current version of Boost.Python?

I'm already experimenting on a fork
(https://github.com/stefanseefeld/boost.python/tree/standalone). I'm
proposing to push those changes (once stable) to the official
Boost.Python. (Not sure what you mean by "unilaterally". The very reason
I'm bringing the subject up for discussion is because I want to build
consensus. :-) )

> If that's what you mean, wouldn't mean copying a bunch of code from
> other parts of boost into boost python? That would have lot's of
> interesting implications.

Again, no code changes are involved. Right now Boost.Python is built as
part of a Boost build, and likewise is released as part of a Boost
release. All I'm suggesting is to build and release Boost.Python
stand-alone, against an external Boost installation.

>> For avoidance of doubt: my intent is not to remove Boost.Python out of
>> the Boost organization. Rather, I would like to separate the build and
>> release processes.
>
> Again, it's not clear what "separate the build and release processes"
> means. Does this mean the ability to "release (distribute ?)
> Boost.Python without waiting for a boost release?

Yes.

> If this is what you mean, the question really has nothing to do with
> Boost.Python but rather any Boost library. It's an interesting
> discussion
>
> Robert Ramey

    Stefan