Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 17:25:14

On 29/05/15 03:35 PM, Nevin Liber wrote:
> I am strongly against breaking up the Boost release.

Just for context: We recently had a discussion (with Niall) where the
idea of a "Boost distribution" came up. In such a scenario, Boost
libraries could still follow their individual release schedule, but
would be made available through a single distribution channel (which
could also assume some validation tasks to test inter-version
compatibility. I think this would be an interesting model to consider,
as it adds the best of both worlds: independence an autonomy of
projects, and convenience for end users.

> I also think such a fundamental change has to go through the Steering
> Committee.

Well, I beg to differ. It's the projects' maintainers / developers who
have to do the actual work, so ultimately it's their decision where to
put their effort.

    Stefan