Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Separating Boost.Python from Boost
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-29 17:35:30

On 29 May 2015 at 12:31, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> Rather, I would like to know whether people here (and Boost.Python users
> in particular) have any particular thoughts about this proposal. Any
> strong reasons not to move forward with this ? Things to consider while
> doing it ? Etc.

This is exactly what proposed Boost.APIBind is designed for: allow a
legacy Boost library to both exist as part of monolithic Boost, and
as a standalone library with no Boost dependencies (with the C++ 11
STL swapped in instead). Identical code base can do both targets.

Have a look at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BestPracticeHandbook#a16.COUPLIN
G:Considerallowingyourlibraryuserstodependencyinjectyourdependencieson
otherlibraries. If that whets your appetite, have a look at my C++
Now Presentation on APIBind:

https://github.com/boostcon/cppnow_presentations_2015/raw/master/files
/A-review-of-Cxx-11-14-only-Boost-libraries-Fiber-AFIO-DI-and-APIBind.
pdf

The video of that talk is probably also very useful to watch, but I
don't think they are posted yet.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting