Subject: Re: [boost] Recent changes in Boost policies
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-30 11:29:07

On 30 May 2015 at 17:57, Peter Dimov wrote:

> > Sorry, I meant by discussion of completeness whether you could arbitrarily
> > fetch any individual Boost library with ideal dependencies fetched, and
> > that the result compiled and worked perfectly. Some Boost libraries work
> > perfectly with bpm and others do not, or at least someone at the meeting
> > said so.
>
> The dependency graph in my example bpm distribution doesn't track the
> dependencies in the test/ directories. This is on purpose as it results in
> fewer dependencies being installed if you just want to use the library and
> not run its tests.

Hang on, are you saying here that bpm is fully functional for all
Boost libraries right now?

If so, why aren't we shipping bpm based fully modular Boost right
now?

> (Bringing in Boost.Test as a dependency brings in the world.) But if
> you're using the ability to run the library's tests as an indication of
> whether bpm has worked, then yes, you'll find that it hasn't
> worked for some.

If the sole roadblock remaining to a bpm based fully modular Boost
release is Boost.Test, then I think none of us at that meeting were
aware of that.

And if that is indeed the case, then that puts a *very* different
spin on things indeed, and you should tell the Boost steering
committee via that mailing list as that has enormous relevance to
their deliberations.

I'll put this another way round: most libraries using Boost.Test use
like 2% of the functionality. A quick and dirty emulation of
Boost.Test like the one in APIBind could replace the Boost.Test
dependency for almost all libraries in Boost with relatively little
work.

In other words, if I have understood you right, Boost could be a
fully modular distro as early as end of this year if Boost were to
award a small grant for the grunt work involved.

Do let me know. I am now excited.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting