Subject: Re: [boost] [winapi] Problem with the latest clang on Windows
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-01 15:12:03

On Monday 01 June 2015 11:23:36 Edward Diener wrote:
> On 6/1/2015 10:48 AM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that MinGW (http://mingw.org/) was discontinued in
> > favor of MinGW64 (http://mingw-w64.org/). Not sure if we should support
> > it.
>
> What do you mean by "discontinued" ?

I mean it's not being released for quite some time. The last stable compiler
release I can see was in 2013. Mailing lists[1][2] activity is rather low.
Combined with the fact that the compiler still doesn't support 64-bit targets,
this is a strong indication to me that the project is pretty much dead.

> What does the C++ standard say about the extern "C" declarations
> duplicating the same name as regular declarations but different types.
> Is it an ODR violation ? Maybe that is what the clang problem is about
> although gcc does not feel it is a problem seeing the exact same
> preprocessed output.

I could only find 7.5/6:

  ...Two declarations for a function with C language linkage
  with the same function name (ignoring the namespace names
  that qualify it) that appear in different namespace scopes
  refer to the same function....

It doesn't say anything about argument types. ODR also doesn't apply here
since we're talking about the function declaration, not its definition.

[1] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.devel
[2] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user