Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Container and tests: why is Boost.Test bypassed
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-02 14:48:28

On 2 Jun 2015 at 18:56, Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

> > I have a GSOC student writing some containers that fit naturally into
> > Boost.Container. So he tries to do things the way that you have done,
> > which is fine.
> >
> > I do wonder why the tests are written with assertions and not using
> > Boost.Test? Is it a dependency problem or?
>
> Those test were inherited from Boost.Interprocess and when trying
> Boost.Test back in 2005 I found it too heavyweight for the kind of tests
> I needed, specially when using the debugger. It could an old problem
> with my IDE installation but I never looked back.

Turning off header only mode in Boost.Test makes the heaviness go
away, but breaks build on some less common platforms.

> After some years I've slowly started porting some tests from my
> libraries (maybe not Container, I can't remember) to Core's
> lightweight_test which I is dependecy-free, fast and enough for most needs:
>
> http://www.boost.org/boost/core/lightweight_test.hpp
>
> Is lightweight test acceptable for GSOC?

Yes it is.

I am personally opposed to lightweight test because it does not
integrate well with test results aggregation tooling, and therefore
should not be used in new code. More explanation is at:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BestPracticeHandbook#a9.MAINTENA
NCE:ConsidermakingitpossibletouseanXMLoutputtingunittestingframeworkev
enifnotenabledbydefault

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting