Subject: Re: [boost] What would make tool authors happier..
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-02 17:24:09

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> The set of libraries that have extraneous files/dirs are roughly:
>> algorithm, align, asio, assert, bind, chrono, compatibility, compute,
>> concept_check, config, container, context, conversion, convert, core, crc,
>> date_time, disjoint_sets, dynamic_bitset, endian, filesystem, format,
>> functional, fusion, geometry, gil, heap, interprocess, intrusive,
>> lexical_cast, locale, log, math, move, mpl, multi_index, multiprecision,
>> numeric, phoenix, polygon, predef (yes my own lib, I know), property_tree,
>> proto, python, random, random, regex, serialization, smart_ptr, sort,
>> spirit, statechart, static_assert, test, thread, tokenizer, type_index,
>> type_traits, typeof, units, unordered, utility, uuid, variant, wave, and
>> xpressive.
>>

> I don't consider extraneous files/dirs within library directories a
> problem as they neither confuse tools nor interfere with modularization.

Right. Which is why I said "roughly". But for many of the above I'm not
actually sure if they are OK or not. Which is also why I want to discuss
what all those files and dirs are. I want to be sure we aren't missing
tests we should be running. Or documentation that is being misplaced. Or if
there additional directories we should document (and enforce) because they
are useful to have.

For example I see "tools" is used in a few places. Should we document what
should/might go in there? I see Cmake & VS files.. Should we
suggest/require those go to the build dir? So that we can generally tell
users that for *all* libraries they should look in the library build
directory. We also have a few libraries that have source, docs, and
headers, in the top level dir. We've traditionally allowed that for "small"
libraries. Should we stop allowing that? And so on for other types of files
and dirs.

I.e. I don't mind so much that they are there.. Just that we don't have
documentation for why they are there. So that users and future authors (and
some tools) have an easier time.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything