Subject: Re: [boost] Boost documentation with ability for users to post comments
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-05 17:32:05

Krzysztof Jusiak wrote:
> allow
> users to post comments on the documentation pages.

The place where I've seen this most often in in the
PostgreSQL documentation:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

See the "with/without comments" links at the right of
that page.

I don't know how it is implemented, but they do appear
to be doing it themselves, rather than using anything
like Disqus.

In my experience, I've never seen a single comment that
was remotely useful. But even if there were useful
comments I probably wouldn't have seen them if they were
just appended at the bottom of a long page.

I can see three potential uses for comments:

1 - If the aim were to make the documentation better by
allowing community improvements, I would suggest going
all the way and making the pages editable as a wiki.

2 - If the aim were to allow people to ask questions or
to say "this is great", they should be directed to
mailing lists or forums.

3 - and this is the most likely use - SPAM.

Regards, Phil.