Subject: Re: [boost] [BestPracticeHandbook] Try the library online
From: Krzysztof Jusiak (krzysztof_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-10 11:22:22

Thanks,

Yea, basically you are right with the steps.
If it comes to giant preprocessed file, well, I was supporting it from day
dot, just for simplicity. It improves compilation times (just a bit), error
messages (get rid of include from/ include...) and it simplify the start
for new users. I would encourage everyone with header only library to
provide preprocessed header as well.
Anyway, moving back to Wandbox. Actually, there is a better way to do it,
because Wandbox supports json API (
https://github.com/melpon/wandbox/blob/master/kennel2/API.rst)
and, therefore, it might be done automatically (to have your library up to
date and not doing it manually all the time).

I have written a simple script to support this approach:
https://github.com/krzysztof-jusiak/di/blob/cpp14/doc/tools/try_it_online.sh

in response url is given, which might be used in documentation or for a
badge.

Please notice as well, that Louis and I were trying to do the same for
Hana, but, unfortunately, without any success yet (seems there is a limit
on Wanddbox and Hana is too big for it):
https://github.com/ldionne/hana/issues/87

Agreed, that the badge could have been a bit more appealing for the user.

Kris