Subject: Re: [boost] sourceforge and release hosting
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-10 13:23:51

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Norbert Wenzel <
norbert.wenzel.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 06/10/2015 10:34 AM, Michael Ainsworth wrote:
> >> On 10 Jun 2015, at 1:20 pm, Adam Walling <adam.walling_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >> Should releases be hosted somewhere other than sourceforge?
> >>
> >> I've ran across this regarding boost twice this week, and I'm sure we
> are
> >> all well aware of the history of problems that sourceforge has been
> accumulating
> >
> > For those new to the boost mailing lists such as myself can you provide
> a reference to catch us up?
>
> I don't know about the original author, but I've seen a discussion about
> leaving Sourceforge on Reddit recently:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/397mt5/someone_needs_to_convince_the_boost_people_to_get/
>
> So this might be one of the times the author ran across that topic.

Even if we don't want to make a change like this at this time, I think it
would be worth investigating other options for making releases. Off the top
of my head:
* Downloads directly on the boost.org site or some boost maintianed
subdomain/server (bandwidth is a *lot* cheaper than it was 10 years ago)
* Using github releases[1], downside being that each file has to be less
than 1GB, which the windows binaries release passes.
* Using microsoft's code plex[2], downside - microsoft is moving away from
it...to github.

Tom

[1]https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software
[2]http://www.codeplex.com/