Subject: Re: [boost] [Advice] Documenting the "refined by" relation for concepts
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-15 16:45:07

Gavin Lambert <gavinl <at> compacsort.com> writes:

> [...]
>
> Well, I'm not a seasoned generic library writer, but in my view as a
> user of such libraries it is always very useful to be able to navigate
> from a base class/interface to its derived classes in the documentation,
> and the same would apply to concepts. (Not just derived/refined
> concepts, but also if there are classes provided in the library that
> actually implement these concepts.)
>
> One of the reasons that this is sometimes left out of documentation is
> that it's usually an open relationship and thus can never be complete --
> other libraries or the user's own code could (and often does) add
> additional types that "should" have been listed, though of course they
> can't be. However I don't think that's a good reason to not document
> this relation for the types that are actually provided by the library,
> though.

I agree that providing a list of the sub-concepts defined by the library
is useful to the user. I think I'll do that in one way or the other, perhaps
like Vinicius suggested (in a "See also" section) or by providing a
"Non-exhaustive list of sub-concepts" thing. In all cases, I must find a way
to handle this automatically, or I'll regret this really fast.

Regards,
Louis