Subject: Re: [boost] Problem cross-compiling boost.context for Raspberry Pi (2)
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-16 17:02:54

On 6/16/2015 6:56 PM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:

> I would guess cross-compiling for ARM is more common than native compiling
>> for ARM,
>> and removing this requirement should have no adverse effects in the native
>> case,
>> so what's the downside to removing it?
>>

> For cross compiling you have always to specify <abi> and <binary-format>
> because both
> properties can not be correctly determined in the case of cross compiling.

I don't follow. If I do not specify abi when cross-compiling to ARM, then:

- Compiler does not care much, it just uses the default one
- Boost.Build does not care either, since all ARM alternatives in boost.context
   have the same ABI

What am I missing? Maybe I should submit a pull request, and you'll point out
in which cases it will result in compilation failure or wrong compilation options?

Thanks,
Volodya