Subject: Re: [boost] merging from develop to master
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-06-28 15:25:50

On 28.06.2015 21:57, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compare Boost.Python's develop branch with master, to
> decide how to proceed. I was naively assuming that develop would
> regularly be rebased so it's easy to merge patches.
> However, https://github.com/boostorg/python/branches/active indicates
> develop is "276 commits ahead". How is that possible ? How did previous
> maintainers keep the develop branch in sync with master ? How is this
> handled in other Boost libraries ?

It is normal that develop is ahead of master because all active
development is supposed to happen in develop (or in separate branches
that are merged into develop). When stable and tested, develop is merged
into master.

However, in your case I can see that develop is 73 commits behind master
as well. This is what normally should not happen. It means that someone
committed directly to master. I guess you will have to review these
commits and cherry-pick them to develop and then merge develop to master.