Subject: Re: [boost] [afio] AFIO review postponed till Monday
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-21 23:31:57

Hi Niall,

I wrote:
> I might be mistaken, but are you using undocumented NT APIs for the Windows specific implementation?

The reason I asked the question was because, when glancing your
repository, I saw comments like: "From
http://undocumented.ntinternals.net".

You wrote:
> All the kernel APIs it uses are from the official Microsoft kernel documentation

Ah; this changes things. If you're only using documented APIs, that's
not alarming.

The bug you've hit and the response you received, though, might be an
indication that the internal APIs aren't terrific to use in your
portable library either. They're certainly acceptable to use in any
system software or driver that is tested thoroughly for, and ships
only for, specific Windows versions with less concern about binary
forward compatibility.

I guess the test here is: How many potential AFIO users would have
concerns about consuming AFIO in some cross-platform project when they
find it uses internal APIs? (I'm would imagine most would refuse to
use it outright if it were using any undocumented APIs). If the answer
is "little to none", then you're probably fine. If not, it will
probably work against you in the review.

Glen